03 de setembre, 2010

Sonny Rollins in Harlem

 Sonny Rollins, al Palau (foto: Ricard Cugat)


By Marc Myers at 'Wall Street Journal'

Driving up to Harlem a few weeks ago, Sonny Rollins was being hard on himself. «The last time I performed at the Beacon Theater 15 years ago, I wasn't happy with how I played,» he said, looking out the passenger-seat window. «I'm excited to get a chance to redeem myself. After all, it's my birthday concert, right?»

Saxophone icon and Harlem native Sonny Rollins will celebrate his 80th birthday with a Sept. 10 concert at the Beacon Theatre.
Indeed it is. Mr. Rollins turns 80 on Sept. 7, and will mark the occasion with a performance at the Beacon Theater on Sept. 10. Sonny Rollins@80 will include guitarist Jim Hall, trumpeter Roy Hargrove, bassist Christian McBride and other special guests.

Given the pending milestones, I had suggested to Mr. Rollins that we revisit the Harlem of his youth from the comfort of a Lincoln Town Car. The point was to see the turf that helped shape him as an artist. He agreed.

(To read full article, go here.)